Last Updated January 12, 2022
4 Ingredients I 10 Minutes
Tender, tasty and packed with fiber and protein, Chinese chive and egg stir-fry is a quick and delicious dish for every meal.
Chinese Chives / Garlic Chives
Compared to the chives used as a herb, Chinese chives have blade like long and flat leaves and are cooked in much larger amount. The raw leaves taste a little garlicky and quite sharp, however, once cooked, they have a mild sweet taste. They make delicious stir-fries as well as fillings for dumplings, buns and the delicious stuffed chive and egg pockets.
This chive and egg stir-fry has to be one of the quickest dishes to prepare. It is also a very popular appetizer to go with drinks (Chinese culture abhors drinking on an empty stomach) – fresh, warm and almost instant! I am sure chive and egg stir-fry can facilitate many good conversations, but you certainly don’t need to drink to enjoy this delicious dish.
As with stir-frying all green leafy vegetables, use a large wok and high heat so you can cook the vegetable very quickly and preserve the color, texture and nutrition.
CHINESE CHIVE AND EGG STIR-FRY
MAKE 4 servings PREP: 5 min COOKING: 2 min
- 250 g Chinese chives, cut into 5 cm (2 inch) long sections
- 2 or 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce or salt to taste
- 2 star anise or a small section of cinnamon stick (optional)
- Heat a wok on high heat. Scramble the eggs in 1 tbsp oil for about 15 seconds and quickly remove from wok while the eggs are soft (but solidified enough to be lifted by a spatula).
- Add 1 tbsp oil, add the star anise and toss for a few seconds until fragrant. Add the Chinese chives, stir-fry until the chives turn bright green and tender, about 30 seconds. Add the soy sauce and toss a few times to mix, then add the eggs, toss and breaking up the eggs for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and serve on rice.