QUICK DISH / PLANT-BASED / VEGETARIAN / DAIRY-FREE/ GLUTEN-FREE
March 24, 2021
Sweet, sour and a little spicy, this tofu stew in tomato sauce (茄酱烧豆腐) uses fresh tofu, is 100% plant-based and very quick and easy to prepare – great for both lunch and dinner!
TOFU STEW IN TOMATO SAUCE
VEGAN/ VEGETARIAN / DAIRY-FREE / GLUTEN-FREE
MAKE 4 servings PREP 5 min COOKING: 10 min
- 700g fresh tofu, firm or semi-firm, cut into bite size
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped or grated fresh ginger
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 heaped tbsp tomato paste
- 1 heaped tbsp Thai curry paste (see recipe notes)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Make a sauce by combining the tomato paste, curry paste and soy sauce in a bowl.
- Heat a large wok on high, add the oil, sauté the ginger and half of the spring onion for 10 seconds then add carrot and bell pepper, stir fry for 30 seconds, then add the tofu and the sauce. Toss gently to mix everything in the wok.
- Add hot water into the wok to completely cover the tofu. Adjust the heat so the liquid bubbles although not violently. Boil the tofu for 5 minutes with lid on, stir occasionally.
- Take off the lid, turn the heat on high, continue to boil the liquid until the desirable amount is left in the wok (this can be a soupy stew or a less soupy one). Sprinkle the rest of the spring onions.
- A little curry paste adds a bit of kick to this dish and lends a more complex flavor. Green or red curry paste, as well as Tom-yum paste are all good options for this dish.