Last Updated August 12th 2021
Fresh, tender light but no lack of flavors, this quick broccoli and shrimp stir-fry is always a crowd-pleaser at our dining table.
BROCCOLI AND SHRIMP STIR-FRY
MAKE 2-4 servings PREPARATIONS 5 minutes COOKING 5 minutes
- 1 head of fresh broccoli florets, break into large bite-sized florets
- a dozen of raw shrimps (fresh, thawed or frozen*)
- 1 cup of stock (optional)
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp potato starch mixed with 6 tsp of water
- a few drops of sesame oil (optional)
- Steamed the broccoli florets on high heat for 2 minutes or until tender and bright green, remove from the heat*. While the broccoli is being cooked, heat the stock or water in a small pot until close to boiling point.
- Heat a wok on high heat, add the oil, sauté the garlic for a few seconds until fragrant, add the shrimp and stir fry until the shrimp start to turn pink, about 30 seconds. Add the hot stock or water, bring the liquid to a boil.
- Stir the liquid in a circular motion while very slowly pouring in the starch mix until the liquid is visibly thickened (but not too thick). Discard any unused starch mix. Add the broccoli florets, toss a few times to mix, transfer everything to a dish. Serve with rice.
- Ideally thaw the frozen shrimp in a sealed bag in the fridge overnight. If using shrimp that are still frozen, rinse off excessive ice and separate the shrimps under cold running water, then pat dry before stir-frying.
- Get all the ingredients ready before heating the oil. If you need more time to prepare after the broccoli florets are steamed, run them under cold water to prevent yellowing.
Leave a Reply