Last Updated December 22, 2021
9 Ingredients I 15 Minutes
A colorful and delicious treat popping with Christmas colors. This easy, refreshing, and cheerful salad is the perfect addition to your holiday meals!
Apart from the bright Christmas colors, I absolutely love the interesting mix of flavors and textures from all the ingredients – sweet pomegranate, smooth pearl couscous, tangy cherry tomatoes, earthy carrots and crunchy Romaine lettuce. A very simple and tangy vinaigrette dressing is all that’s needed to complement the main ingredients.
THE VERY MERRY POMEGRANATE SALAD
MAKE 4 servings PREP: 15 min (including cooking)
- 1 cup of fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of pearl couscous
- 1 carrot
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- Boil 2 to 3 cups of water on high heat, add the pearl couscous and a pinch of salt. Bring back to a boil. Adjust the heat and let the water bubble gently for 10 minutes or until the pearl couscous is tender. Drain the water and run the couscous quickly under cold water, drain and set aside.
- While the couscous is being cooked, tear the Romaine lettuce into bite-sized pieces by hand. Cut the tomatoes into halves and slice the carrots if using. Mix them with the cooked couscous in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, sugar and a little salt together until the dressing is creamy, then pour over the salad mix. Alternatively, add all the ingredient into a large bowl and mix well.
- I love the tangy and refreshing taste of apple cider vinegar, however I sometimes also use Balsamic vinegar instead for a deeper and richer flavored vinaigrette. Find a good quality Balsamic vinegar that is properly aged therefore shouldn’t contain added colors (such as caramel), flavors, or preservatives.
Leave a Reply