QUICK DISH / DAIRY-FREE/ GLUTEN-FREE
March 16, 2021
I love clear claim soup (蛤喇汤) for its simplicity and unadulterated flavor – it is just the fresh clams and the intensely flavorful water. Uber umami!
Simplicity is beauty. I first tried this style of clam soup in Qing-dao (青岛), a charming sea-side town in the East coast of China. I was instantly hooked by the fresh and pure flavor, and have been enjoy fresh clams this way ever since.
CLEAR CLAM SOUP (哈喇汤）
DAIRY-FREE / GLUTEN-FREE
PREP: 5 min plus soaking COOKING: 1 to 3 min
- 1 kg clams (small or medium sized varieties)
- a thumb sized ginger, slice a few times
- drops of sesame oil
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander or Chinese salted pickles (or real sauerkraut) (optional)
- Soak the clams in cold water to get rid of excessive sand (see Recipe Notes), and clean the shells with a brush. Meanwhile, boil 5 to 6 cups of water and the ginger slices in a medium pot on high heat.
- Add the clams into the boiling water, cover the pot and bring the water back to boil. Open the lid, stir the clams to ensure even cooking. As soon as the clams are open, remove the pot from heat.
- Serve immediately. Add the sesame oil, and coriander and sauerkraut if using.
- Soak the clams in cold fresh water. Change the water in 5 to 15 minutes intervals depending on how quickly the water gets muddy at the bottom. It might take a few changes before the sediment is minimal.
- Clams of similar size will open almost all at once during cooking. Discard unopened shells; don’t wait for them to open while continue cooking the opened once.