QUICK DISH / VEGAN / VEGETARIAN / DAIRY-FREE/ GLUTEN-FREE
March 12, 2021
This quick rice noodle stir fry is full of umami flavor from the Shiitake mushrooms, and packed with 500 grams of vegetables, mostly Tatsoi (塌菜), a dark green leafy Asian green.
Tatsoi, also called Tat-choy, is closely related, and taste similar, to Bok choy, In this recipe, the three vegetables are prepared in exactly the same way as with Bok choy, mushrooms and rice. You can also replace Tatsoi with Bok choy for this recipes.
The rice noodles I used here is He-fen (河粉) a wide Cantonese rice noodle variety (and tastes rather similar to the rice noodles used in Vietnamese Pho). You can find them in many Asian stores, sold (already cooked) in packets alongside other chilled foods.
RICE NOODLE STIR-FRY WITH TATSOI AND MUSHROOMS
VENGAN/ VEGETARIAN / DAIRY-FREE / GLUTEN-FREE
MAKE 3 servings PREP 10 min COOKING: 5 min
- 300 to 400g store-bought rice noodles
- 350g Tatsoi, shred the leaves and dice the stems into 1cm squares
- 6 soaked Shiitake mushrooms, diced (seer recipe note)*
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into 1cm squares
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- sprinkle of salt
- In a bowl, mix 1 tbsp of the oil and the soy sauce.
- Heat a large wok, add the oil, stir fry the mushrooms, red pepper and the steams of the tatsoi together until all the vegetables are coated with the oil and the stem pieces is tender, about 45 to 60 seconds. Add the shredded leaves, toss to mix very well with the rest of the vegetables, then sprinkle a little salt over the wok, continue to stir the vegetables until the leaves are tender (in less than 30 seconds).
- Add the rice noodles to the wok, immediately pour the oil and soy sauce mix over the noodles, toss the content of the wok quickly for 45 to 60 seconds to reheat the noodles and mix well with the vegetables. Remove from heat and serve.
- Shiitake mushrooms need to be soaked at least 1 hour in advance. When I can’t manage this, I use button mushrooms and a few cloves of garlic to create a similar and equally wonderful flavor.