Last Updated September 5th , 2021
This steamed King oyster mushroom dish is a refreshing change from the usual sautéed mushrooms. The steamed hand-torn mushroom pieces are tender, light and with umami flavor in full force. The garlic is sizzled in the serving plate with the mushrooms to bring out the aroma while keeping the heat.
MAKE 4 servings PREPARATIONS 10 min COOKING 3 min
- 2 king oyster mushrooms
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tbsps freshly chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 1 sheet of rehydrated Kombu kelp, cut into large slices
- 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Hand tear the king oyster mushrooms in half, then tear each half into 10 stripes of about the same thickness.
- Transfer the stripes into a shallow bowl and steam over boiling water for 3 minutes or until tender and aromatic. Transfer to a salad bowl, add chopped garlic on top of the mushrooms, don’t mix yet.
- Heat the oil in a small pot until hot but just below the smoking point *. Pour the oil over the garlic. Add the cilantro and a pinch salt. Mix well, serve. onions. Serve.
1. To test if the oil is hot enough without getting to the smoking point, throw in a piece of chopped garlic. If the garlic sizzles, the oil is ready to be poured.